The Cato Institute is seeking applications for a full-time position located in DC as a Marketing Coordinator. The Marketing Coordinator’s major responsibilities include supporting the Marketing Department’s daily outreach for its books, periodicals, public events, and additional products and services. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Marketing, specific responsibilities include coordinating email outreach, helping to manage Cato’s online store, advertising production, and mailings.
The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization—a think tank—dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.
Founded in 1977, Cato owes its name to Cato’s Letters, a series of essays published in 18th- century England that presented a vision of society free from excessive government power. Those essays inspired the architects of the American Revolution. And the simple, timeless principles of that revolution — individual liberty, limited government, and free markets – turn out to be even more powerful in today’s world of global markets and unprecedented access to information than Jefferson or Madison could have imagined. Social and economic freedom is not just the best policy for a free people, it is the indispensable framework for the future. Cato Institute is an EOE.
- Maintain all advertising schedules
- Reserve space for print/web ads and emails with publications
- Serve as liaison with the Art Department in the creation & proofing of all ads and in their delivery to publications and web sites.
- Track & file all invoices
- Maintain vendor contacts and files
- Maintain ad files
Online Cato Store
- Place phone/email orders that don’t go through Cato’s online store vendor, PBD
- Serve as the main Cato point of contact for PBD, managing day-to-day activities and operations
- Manage special sales for Cato’s Pocket Constitution
- Handle customer inquiries regarding how to access Cato accounts and e-books
- Manage and maintain the Cato online store
- Manage in-house book inventory and place internal orders for stock from PBD
- Coordinate creation of in-house flyers for new books and research that can be displayed in the office and included in all orders shipped from warehouse
Print and Digital publications
- Create email promotions for new books and research, Cato’s subscriptions, and various book store promotions
- Plan and execute academic adoption campaigns for Cato books
- Coordinate in-house book mailings to reviewers and special lists
- See to the quarterly distribution of new electronic files of Cato publications to our online research databases (Bowker, Proquest, SSRN)
- Research new database opportunities for Cato publications
- Assist with copyright permissions requests
- Attend marketing meetings and conferences as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- List the responsibilities of the position in this section
- College graduate having a degree in a related field.
- Minimum of two years experience, knowledge of political policy and publishing a plus.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to multi-task, with excellent communications skills.
- Computer skills to include knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, with HTML skills a plus.